From: Janie & Ed Smith <2luv2fly@cox.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Primer Question For TSIO-550
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 07:40:02 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Wednesday Evening
8/22/07

Rick,

It takes a double-pole, double throw switch for the primer button.  We located ours between the throttle and prop control knobs.

The primer button operates the primer solenoid on the engine and at the same time, operates the boost pump on "high".  When the primer solenoid is energized, it blocks fuel to the injectors and diverts it to the primer line in the center of the intake plenum.  As a side note, you don't want the primer solenoid energized whenever you turn the boost pump on "high" - - two different functions!  Don't ask me how I know this, but I do have the t-shirt!  <grin>

If you will look at the schematic in the manual (IV-P), there is a pretty good diagram.  If you need a copy, I would be glad to fax it to you.  Just let me know.  The Continental engine manual shows a different wiring diagram (using a diode), but the double-pole, double-throw switch eliminates the need for the diode.

Regards,

Ed Smith
Chesapeake, VA