From: <Sky2high@aol.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: BS - Ballistic Shute.
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2007 13:53:12 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
In a message dated 8/4/2007 5:45:25 P.M. Central Daylight Time, lorn@dynacomm.ws writes:
I believe that the terminal velocity (TV) for an arbitrarily shaped
object including a human body is about 120 mph. This speed is also
the speed at which frictional forces switch from linear to squared.
In order to go faster, the sky diver has to put his arms behind him
and go straight down headfirst. At this time his TV can reach up to
160 mph or possibly 175 mph.

Lorn

> From: "Matt Hapgood" <matt.hapgood@alumni.duke.edu>
> Date: August 4, 2007 1:06:54 AM GMT-04:00
>
> Isn't terminal velocity for a falling human about 175 mph?  So an
> airplane with one wing would be at what speed?
Hmmmmm, one wing is aerodynamic.  The root for the missing one is not. Hmmmmm.  Will the one wing rip off also, creating a bullet like device?  Hmmmmm.  Will the falling device exceed Vne and other part depart?  Hmmmmm....

Grayhawk