From: Michael Newman <mnewman@dragonnorth.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: RE: [LML] Aircraft Value Assessed
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 19:24:21 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Know the rules. Take action only when you are correct that they are not
entitled to collect. Usually states are not entitled to collect any such
taxes if you are not a resident, based there etc. They are also not entitled
to collect if your aircraft has not been there. Most states publish the
rules on their web sites.

When Massachusetts was trying to collect taxes improperly on an Aircraft
that I owned but had never kept in Mass. After my second regular letter I
sent a registered letter with a copy to my counsel that this continued
incorrect collection attempt constituted harassment and that I would pursue
the state and the tax collector personally if collection attempts continued.
They never tried to collect again. I suspect that the registered letter
actually got read while the others got ignored.