From: Janie & Ed Smith <2luv2fly@cox.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: "opportunities"
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 19:23:30 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Group,

Attached is a copy of the letter I sent to two friends - Craig Blitzer & Bob Pastusek (both IV-P owners) describing the latest "opportunities" I have been having with my project.  It might cause some of you to reflect back on your own "opportunities"!!

The problem I had with the remote oil filter adapter (Airwolf) might be something to check - if you have installed one.

Regards,

Ed Smith
Chesapeake, VA

Thursday Morning
6/28/07

Hi Guys!

Thought I would give both of you an update on the latest "happenings" @ the Smith hangar.  Never a dull moment!

This week has consisted of:  1. servicing the brake system  2.servicing the hydraulic system  3.  Filling the engine with oil.  About all we have done is make a damn mess!  Let's say we are definitely in the "re-do" mode!

Brake system took the oil just fine.  However, when we came back in the next morning, all of the oil was in the pilot's floorboard.  <groan>  Discovered two loose hose fittings - must have loosened them when we were adjusting the position of the hoses where they hook to the oil reservoir.  Thank goodness for tank sealer!!  As a result, all we had to do was just mop up the oil and tighten the two hoses.

Hydraulic system was not too bad - we had taken the hand pump out while we were painting the spar box and had capped the inlet / outlet lines.  Spilt oil all over the floor when we took the caps off.  The oil ran everywhere! Luckily (or unluckily), we have an antenna hole near that area, so the oil ran outside - all over the bottom of the fuselage!  <double groan>  Bob, I did modify my dipstick like you - drilled and tapped the filler plug and screwed an AN3 bolt with the proper markings in from the bottom.  Used a file to cut grooves to mark the full, 1 pint, 2 pint levels.

Engine oil - a real big opportunity!!  We used a pre-lub system to fill the engine with oil.  Basically, it consists of a tank that you put the oil in, connect it to an oil galley on the engine and use compressed air to force the oil through the engine.  that way, you get the oil in all the bearings and gears.  Oil ran everywhere!!  <triple groan>  First thing, oil ran out of the exhaust pipes - probably because the scavenge pump wasn't running - put pans under the exhaust to catch the oil.  Second leak was a fitting that wasn't tight - wrench took care of that.  Third leak - remote oil filter adapter - - you know, that "thing" waaaay back up there under all those hoses and lines!  <quadruple groan>  Took all the shit out of the way - wrestled with the adapter because an 1-1/4" wrench doesn't "just go right in" the space available.  Finally got everything out of the way and the adapter off - discovered that the nipple in the engine oil filter housing was too long and prevented the remote adapter from "bottoming out" and compressing the o-ring to seal the adapter.  More "opportunities".

Today we will put the airplane back up on jacks and test the landing gear one more time - just to make sure nothing hits something it is not suppose to.  It has been tested before, but too many things have been disconnected to give me that "warm and fuzzy" feeling.

Just remember - you are not alone with your "opportunities"!  <grin>

Ed