From: John Hafen <j.hafen@comcast.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: To de-ice, or not to de-ice, and if so, how?
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 19:21:57 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>

Gents:

This is a philosophical question as well as a technical recommendation question.

A) would you consider a de-ice system for the IV-P?

B) if so, which technology would you use?

In general, I don’t believe in flying small planes anywhere near icing conditions (been there done that – sinking feeling when you are at full throttle and unable to maintain level flight – then your prop heat throws off a chunk of ice that hits the windshield like a brick…. Just to keep your heart rate and blood pressure way high off the chart.)

And, having said the above, after you have done everything possible to avoid icing conditions, and you still find yourself icing up, it would be nice to be able to do something about it other than pray, which I have done (“I promise to mend all my evil ways if you just help me out of this one…”).

So, philosophically, would you recommend a de-ice system?

If so, would you lean toward:

            Heated Leading Edge

            Electro Expulsive

            Glycol

            Rubber Boot

            Other?

As always, your thoughts/recommendations are welcome.  Thanks in advance.

John Hafen

Lancair IV-P N413AJ

2/3rds done (I pray)

PS – I LIVE IN SEATTLE – THE WEATHER IS ALWAYS SH1TTY, HERE.