From: Ron Laughlin <ronlaughlin@gmail.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Re: What's better than a Continental IO-550 fuel system?
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 10:20:21 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
or 128:1.  As for it causing an additional failure mode, I suppose it could
if the operator failed to add it, but this is another of those checklist
items, and once you're aware of the requirement it would take a pretty

Hi Marv,
Sorry, I wasn't exactly clear about my concerns here. Failing to add
oil is certainly a possibility but not what I was really concerned
about. From a previous life of motorcycle racing, I remember that
below 40F, oil mixed with fuel will begins to separate. This was
caster oil. I suspect that newer 2-stroke oils (synthetic?) may stay
in solution better but don't have any experience to verify that.
Anyway, our engines didn't run very well when it was below 40F. I
don't remember any serious engine failures as a result of this but it
did cause poor performance, fouled plugs and a lot of grief. At higher
altitudes this could be a problem, no?

If I were injecting the oil with a single pump, I see a single point
failure mode there but pump pressure could be monitored. I guess If
the stock engine "dribblers" provide adequate lubrication at
continuous 75% power settings, that might be the safest method. We're
already trained to watch engine oil levels very closely.
--
Ron Laughlin
Legacy N44L (res)