From: <marv@lancair.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Re: What's better than a Continental IO-550 fuel system?
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 10:18:39 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Posted for "Mark Steitle" <msteitle@gmail.com>:

Ron,

Welcome to the club, we're glad to have you aboard.

Concerning #1, please see my response to Robert. The RWS re-drive design
has thousands of hours on it, tens of thousands are still a ways away. They
are proving to be very reliable re-drives. I'm using the RD-2C, which has
six pinions, providing 6" of tooth contact area. That should be more than
enough for 300hp.

No, the power pulses of the rotary are not harsher than a 4-stroke piston
engine. In fact, they are actually milder. Unlike a recip, the rotary
engine's pulses never go negative. I have a chart comparing the two, but
not handy at the minute. The 3-rotor fires every 120* of crankshaft
rotation, same as a 6-cylinder recip. Couple that to a 2.85:1 gearbox and
the prop sees more than 8 pulses per rev, compared to three on a direct
drive 6-cylinder, or 2 on a 4-cylinder. Clearly, the geared rotary is
smoother.

#2 - Yes, yes, yes. Rotaries can be obnoxiously loud, but they can also be
muffled. Tracy Crook, and others have settled on the stainless steel
Hushpower muffler. It quiets the beast and can take a licking and keep on
ticking. Other mufflers they have tried have lasted only a few hours before
being destroyed by the severe exhaust pulses of the rotary. On my 3-rotor,
I'm using a baffle, or insert into the 3" downpipe. It is similar to
the Spiral Flow mufflers used on the big block Corvette's with side pipes.
Not exactly quiet, but acceptable. Besides, the 3-rotor has three firing
events per revolution (versus 2/rev on the 2-rotor) and therefore has a more
pleasant sounding exhaust tone. Believe it or not, I've actually had some
people at the airport say to me that they like the sound of my 3-rotor and
enjoy hearing it run. Imanine that!!!

Concerning #3 & #4, I could try to add something else to Marv's response,
but I think that he did an excellent job answering them already. So, I'll
skip those.

Mark S.
(heading for the airport)