From: kneaded pleasures <kneadedpleasures@sbcglobal.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Rotary engines
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 09:50:07 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Mark Steitle writes, "....  As for the basic rotary engine, I feel that it is way more reliable than its certified counterparts."

Perhaps true Mark, but isn't it also true that the most frequent failures of the rotary application to aircraft is the prsu?  In my not-so-recent readings on this topic, many rotary-driven aircraft had crashed and very few flying rotary a/c had significant hours on the engines and aircraft.  Is this still true?  How many flying hours do high-time rotary aircraft now see without major overhaul of either/both the engine and prsu?       Greg Nelson