From: Lynda Frantz <LFrantz@compuserve.com>
Sender: Lynda Frantz <LFrantz@compuserve.com>
Subject: Transmitters and Antannea
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 12:33:44 -0500
To: INTERNET:lancair.list@olsusa.com <lancair.list@olsusa.com>

          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          <<  Lancair Builders' Mail List  >>
          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Consider putting only one com in your aircraft and taking along a handheld
as a backup.  Yup, the panel may look a little funny and some misinformed
pilots will even state that I can't legally fly IFR.  This one com approach
for IFR flying works great, saves $$$$$, reduces weight,  solves the
splitter and antannae problems, frees up panel space and may even
eliminates the need for an audio selector panel saving even more $$$$ and
weight.  Use the $$$$s saved and buy something that you can really use like
angle-of-attack, a gear warning system, TCAS or some other safety related
equipment.

If you go the one com route be sure to get a good com radio with the
frequency flip flop feature.  I even have a button on my stick grip to flip
the freqs because it was there.  I'm a fool when it come to neat features.

Are you aware of the new rule making,  if you incorrectly read back and
flew a clearance and the controller did not catch the read back error, your
readback does not mitigate your error and you will be found at fault and
busted anyway?  Regardless, monitoring ATC while receiving ATIS on that
second com is poor communications technique.  The proper procedure for
retreiving ATIS is to get a clearance from the controller to go off freq.

The 2nd COM is kind of like having a second wife, it's useless, expensive
and complicates life.  Same goes with the 2nd NAV.  But I know, that is the
way we have always done it and there is nothing wrong with that.

Hoping that we're all still here tomorrow and
Happy New Year,

Jim Frantz

LML website:   http://www.olsusa.com/Users/Mkaye/maillist.html
Builders' Bookstore:   http://www.buildersbooks.com/lancair