From: Zavatson, Christopher J (US SSA) <Christopher.Zavatson@baesystems.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: RE: [LML] Re: Electrical Fire
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 12:00:53 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>

<<John's message has triggered a prior question I've had...  What is the best type of on board fire extinguisher?

My limited understanding is that Halon (and/or Halon substitutes) work by absorbing/consuming oxygen - which makes them effective at extinguishing fires.  However, it seems perhaps that isn't something that I'd want to trigger when I'm still in the (sealed) cabin (since I need the O2 as well).

Thoughts/comments???>>

As of about eight years ago when I last worked on fire suppression systems in military combat vehicles, Halon was the only agent that could extinguish a fire and still leave a breathable atmosphere.  At the time, Halon was the only agent approved for human occupied areas.  Unfortunately it is an ozone depleting substance, so non-occupied areas were being converted to other agents.  Halon was being recovered and banked for exclusive use in occupied areas.  Unless something new has come around in recent years, Halon is the only agent I would discharge in a small confined space like a cockpit.

Chris Zavatson
N91CZ
360std
www.N91CZ.com