From: <RicArgente@cs.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Landing Checklist: Brake Check-Landing Incident
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 14:49:00 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
How many of you check your brakes as part of your landing checklist?

A friend of mine was flying my 360 and lost fluid in the right brake lines.  The bleeder fitting had sheared off completely on a prior botch landing attempt.  During the landing roll, the plane veered to the left and off the runway, into the mud. Ouch!  Damage: prop bent, leading edge wing damage from hitting a runway light, and ofcourse, the right brake assembly needs to be replaced.  Mandatory engine tear down has been scheduled.

Checking the brakes prior to landing would have alerted him about the situation and he may have opted to land elsewhere with a longer runway.  Checking the brakes is now part of our landing checklist, needless to say...