From: Zavatson, Christopher J (US SSA) <Christopher.Zavatson@baesystems.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: RE: [LML] Re: IO-550 fuel injection
Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 14:23:01 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>

John, et al

<<I am suspicious of those cute little NACA vents you guys use for tank vents. I am thinking they may not be as effective as they need to be at higher altitudes (lower indicated airspeeds). I think maybe NACA vents work better when there is airflow through them, rather than being used to generate a static pressure.>>

I have three reports on NACA (submerged) inlets posted here:
http://www.n91cz.com/Interesting_Technical_Reports/Technical_Papers.htm

NACA ACR 5120 – A experimental Investigation of NACA Submerged-Duct Entrances (3.3 Mb)

NACA RM A7130 – An Experimental Investigation of the Design Variables for NACA Submerged Duct Entrances (2.5 Mb)

NACA RM A50E02 – Pressure Distribution and Ram Recovery Characteristics of NACA Submerged Inlets at High Subsonic Speeds (1.7 Mb)

Static pressure is certainly less than maximum at zero inlet velocity ratio, but can still be respectable.  At least one of the reports tests down to zero flow.
These are interesting reading, in particular if you are trying to use a NACA scoop to cool something.

<<My RV8 has streamlined tank vents that stick out about 1 1/2 inches into the air stream to get out of the boundary layer and generate a positive pressure inside the tank. >>

I did something similar sticking out about .75 inches.  There was so much pressure in the tank you could see the ribs.  I later used a spare air speed indicator to trim down the tube and knock the pressure down to 0.2 psi.

Chris Zavatson
N91CZ
360std
www.N91CZ.com