From: Kevin Kossi <kevin@airforcemechanical.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Re: IO-550 fuel injection
Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 12:47:47 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
What concerns me about ram air to create positive pressure inside the fuel tanks is the possibility of rain water being rammed along with the air into the tanks.

Is there something that seperats the air and water before it is pushed into the tank?

Kevin

On May 9, 2007, at 11:27 AM, John Huft wrote:

Here is an off-the-wall theory from the RV spy....

I am suspicious of those cute little NACA vents you guys use for tank vents. I am thinking they may not be as effective as they need to be at higher altitudes (lower indicated airspeeds). I think maybe NACA vents work better when there is airflow through them, rather than being used to generate a static pressure.

I am thinking a good positive pressure inside the tank would reduce these problems.

My RV8 has streamlined tank vents that stick out about 1 1/2 inches into the air stream to get out of the boundary layer and generate a positive pressure inside the tank. I never turn the boost pump on except as a precaution on take-off and landing, and I have flown it for 3 hours at a time at 17,500 msl. I never turn the pump on switching tanks.

My IO-550 powered C185 has big ugly tank vent tubes hanging below the wing (hiding behind the wing struts to keep from icing up). I have flown for hours at 19,000 IFR and never touched the boost pump. I have taken off from Porterville, CA at 105 degrees and climbed to 17,500 eastbound and never touched the boost pump.

Just a thought,

John Huft (RV spy)

Kevin Kossi
Legacy 76%
New York
Continental IO-550-EXP
10:1 Single Lightspeed Single Slick Mag
Hartzell  HC-H3YF-2UFX/FC7391D-3X.
Full feathering, counterweighted, 3 blade