From: Zavatson, Christopher J (US SSA) <Christopher.Zavatson@baesystems.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: RE: [LML] Cooling Drag
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 22:28:20 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Art
<<are you doing anything to manage the air flow under the cylinders>>
I didn't change anything below the cylinders this iteration.  The mod targeted pressure recovery and sealing above the cylinders.  Still on my to-do list is a modification to the exit.  Later Lancair models have nice exit tunnels on either side of the nose gear which makes work in this area much easier.

<<I looked at the plenum but with the reduced volume over the engine I wasn't sure there would be a gain.>>
The volume difference is not the driver.  The gain comes from better control over pressure recovery and sealing.  360 inlets have a very high inlet velocity which makes them more suseptible to problems.  Sealing is, of course, a universal issue.

<<Then there was the work to make one.>>
This is a real deterrent.  Unfortunately changes like this become major projects.  I am certainly glad I did it on my plane, but since your temps are already good, motivation levels would certainly be lower.  To evaluate the potential gains ahead of time one would need to measure mass flow and pressure at key points in the existing cooling system - not a minor task either.

Chris

Chris Zavatson
N91CZ
360std