From: Dr Andre Katz <bu131@swbell.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Cooling Drag
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 15:42:38 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
I also follow the guru's ideas about LOP but my fuel flow (IV-P) is 15.5 to 16 gall/hrs and I fly at about the same altitude or higher than you, I lose 8-10 kts when going from ROP to LOP and I wonder why you use 19 gall/hr. My temps are 340 350 spread (without GAMI's I am ashamed to say...) with TIT 1640-1650 (TIT2) the only problem is when I get out of Dallas and they make me stay low in the TCA my engine heats up and then I cannot climb to 20K non stop I have to wait not to exceed 400 f in the climb (CHT), I am increasing my FF to the limit to improve my climb rate. I have been doing this for 4 years 400 hrs in the engine and last annual (this week) all compression checks were good and the engine is not using any oil at all.
andres

Art Bertolina <artbertolina@earthlink.net> wrote:

I have used most of the ideas from George Braly engine
cooling seminar of Oct/04 for TSIO 550 installations in
L IVs. Over the last several months flying in So. Calif.
at 15500 to 17500 at 2500RPM and 31" MAP and 19gph
in cruise CHTs run from 264 to 305 oil temp 160 hottest
TIT 1595, 80 to 90 LOP.
Has anyone done any work with cooling drag. Directing the
air flow above the engine has a positive effect, has anyone
tried to direct the air flow as it exits the bottom of the engine?, if so with what effect?. Tried closing
down the exit area and again with any positive effect.
Thoughts and comments would be appreciated.
Art