From: Zavatson, Christopher J (US SSA) <Christopher.Zavatson@baesystems.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: RE: [LML] Re: Gear Trouble
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 22:44:01 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
<<Consider that if the spool/shuttle valve is stuck in some bad spot and the pressure is equally very high on both sides so that the dump valve cannot release the pressure, there may exist problems with the relief valves.  Besides that, some of us have symmetric spool valves and some of us have offset ones.  It is hard to install the symmetric ones backwards.

Peculiar pressure build ups associated with heat expansion may also be associated with the pump relief valves.  Mike Reinath claims that his relief valves operate differently when the pump runs.  He has adjusted his to be close to the pressure valve action.

The pump manufacturer claims that the relief valves should be set about 400 psi higher than the circuit requirement.  Theoretically, the manufacturer has set the relief valves for about 1000 (600 lo pressure) and 1500 (1100 hi pressure).  Also remember that pressure switches have a dead band - I.E. it may be triggered (to open) at the high side of its pressure setting and the pump may continue to run long enough to raise the pressure even more.  Then, the pressure switch may not close again until the pressure has dropped several hundred psi below its setting.  Or, maybe not.  Hydraulic logic is not precise in this application.

In my case, gear up operation frequently pauses before another blip finally tucks away everything nice and tight.  Why?  Because a spike opens the pressure switch prematurely and a few seconds later,  pressure has degraded enough to re-activate the switch.  A leak, you say?  No, because that ultimately sucked up gear will remain up tight for days whilst the plane is on jacks.  'Splain that Lucy?  Or, is it because that wild and crazy nose gear gas spring behaves differently at the end of a fast retract, then relaxes a bit after it is compressed for a few seconds and that causes a slight drop in the "hold it all up" pressure?  Is it my Karma?

Perhaps you should set your gear down pressure switch to a bit higher pressure.  Perhaps you should install a pressure switch bypass switch as some have done.  I dunno.  The current dump valve resolution doesn't seem too bad when the occasional problem occurs.>>
Scott,
'Splain that Lucy?
My name ain't Lucy, but here is what you are seeing.
The pressure switch is located very close to the pump.  While the pump is running the pressure right at the pump is higher than anywhere down stream in the system due to losses incured by the flowing hydraulic fluid.  This pressure gradient is a function of how many feet of hose and line and the number of fittings etc you have.  After pump shut down, flow stops, pressure equalizes, hoses and such stretch into their final pressurized dimension and what happens?  Pressure back at the pressure switch drops enough to cause the pump to turn back on.  Pumps I use on the test bench need a much lower pressure switch setting because there is very little pressure bleed down after the pump stops.  With only one cylinder and four feet of aluminum line and hose there is very little line loss, a very small pressure gradient and very little material to stretch.
Scott, turn your pressure switches up just a hair and everything will tuck away on the first try.
Chris

Chris Zavatson
N91CZ
360std