From: Randy <randystuart@hotmail.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Re: Gear Trouble
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 18:10:42 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
I don't know if the problem is from a spool valve, this is the second pump I've had in my plane and both have done the same thing in warmer weather. And, of course, being in southern California it's usually always on the warm side.
I can see on the gear pressure gauge that as the heat goes up so does the pressure. It's gets to a point where the pressure opens both pressure switches, so when I switch to gear down there's no connection. One small tap on the dump valve and it releases the excess pressure on the low side and the pump lites up.
I've seen this same problem with other Lancairs I fly with but never a solution. There should be a small expansion tank or relief valve going back to the reservoir on the low side of the pump. Last resort would be a relay to over ride the low pressure switch, fed through the high pressure circuit for a momentary pump start. This would have the same effect as tapping the dump valve for a second. I'm not sure what the answer is.
Randy Stuart
LNC2