From: Zavatson, Christopher J (US SSA) <Christopher.Zavatson@baesystems.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: RE: [LML] cooling drag (was: Thielert Diesel Centurion 4.0)
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 14:57:12 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
<< Depending on your age, your undergraduate textbook may have used a
Piper Cub, C172, or Beech 18 for the "typical" example. When extensive
natural laminar flow is achieved on the rest of the airframe, drag might
be reduced by quite a margin. Thus, cooling drag may be a much greater
fraction of the total drag on a slippery Lancair. I wouldn't be
surprised by 20-25%.>>

Bob,
You are correct.
The faster the plane can go based on airframe aerodynamics, the greater
cooling drag becomes percentage-wise.  I couldn't find a good summary of
GA aircraft cooling drag values(Does anyone have this info??), but I do
have numbers on my 360.  The attached chart compares stock cowl+baffle
(~14%) to new cowl+plenum (~7%).  We are definitely more sensitive to
cooling drag than the Piper Cub.
Chris

Chris Zavatson
N91CZ