From: Zavatson, Christopher J (US SSA) <Christopher.Zavatson@baesystems.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: RE: [LML] Re: Outboard elevator hinge bleeding
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 12:34:25 -0500
To: <lml>

John,

Your replies appeared to be embedded directly in my original text.  I found out from Marv that your comments were originally in blue, but that everything switches to black when it posts.

I extracted what I found below in << >>.

<<I will send you one soon.>>

thanks.  I'll look forward to it.

<<Our early prototypes were quite sloppy because they were layed up by hand on a bench and the notches were cut on a jigged tablesaw.  Now the tolerances are very close and there is little if any play in the hinges. I don't know how you could have found a sloppy piece of Carbinge in a Legacy project as we have been past the prototype materials for quite a few years.>>

  <<ID of the tubing is nominally 3/32" or .0925".  The pins are .085" OD.  There is some variance in the tubing ID, but this seems to be the best match to date.  For cowling attachments some builders need to go to a smaller diameter pin that we provide.>>

The movement I saw in that piece of Carbinge I examined is completely consistent with the diameters you report.  0.085” diameter pin inside a 3/32” sleeve leaves a gap of greater than 0.008".  This is right in the middle of the tolerance range of new MS hinges.  That diametrical difference is about 10%.  At 10% the MS hinge got hammered to death.  I was looking for something closer to 1 or 2%.  This drove me to the reaming approach and is why the reamed hinge shows so little movement in the video clip.

I couldn’t find any embedded response to the following two questions:

    BTW, what type Nylon are you using?

    What load was applied during the cycle test?

The load used for the cycle test would be most informative.

Conversely, have you done a cycle testing at the 3000 lb/ft load rating?

Regards,

Chris Zavatson
N91CZ
360std