From: Zavatson, Christopher J (US SSA) <christopher.zavatson@baesystems.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: RE: [LML] Re: Nose strut inspections - all models
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 16:34:44 -0500
To: <lml>
Gene,
<<Maybe we should be drilling a small hole in the fork below the shaft
so we can spot leakage before annual inspection fork removal.>>
This idea was floated some time ago, but I think I'm still partial to
removing the fork for a visual inspection.  With a hole you introduce
the opportunity for water, oil or other crud to enter an otherwise
sterile environment.  Not that it needs to be sterile, but if you are
trying to determine the source of oil contamination it helps to limit
sources.
Has anyone tried this?  Perhaps with a small pipe plug that can be
removed with the wheel in place?
Chris

Chris Zavatson
N91CZ