From: Lancair <lancair@USTEK.COM>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: RE: [LML] Backfires LOP
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 09:19:59 -0400
To: <lml>
Phil,

I experience the same popping in my TSIO550 powered ES-P.  A test pilot for Columbia told me that it is very common when running LOP and is aggravated by the low inertia composite prop.  The engine has slight variations of fuel mixture and occasionally the fire in a cylinder goes out - leading to the sound.  He said if running high power LOP to expect it and get used to it - and it does no harm to the engine.

Robert M. Simon
ES-P N301ES

________________________________

Sent: Tue 9/12/2006 6:55 PM
To: Lancair Mailing List
Subject: [LML] Backfires LOP

Anyone had experience with this?
Pilot flying our IVP (TSIO550E3B with 4 blade MT) and reports:
"Had backfires(?) couple of nights back. Was running lean of peak with
temps 1590 at FL150, around -15C, light rain,  29Hg 2500rpm .
Happened twice so went rich of peak for remainder of flight with no
problems. Any reason come to mind?"
Be grateful for any thoughts

Phil Sexton
Melbourne