From: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: Fw: ES Prototype Team
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 14:54:21 -0400
To: <lml>

Posted for Charlie Kohler <charliekohler@yahoo.com>:

 The original ES prototype began as a project to test the the new FAA part 93
relaxation to certification of new aircraft. This was a natural to fit into
the four place category. And Lance saw it as an opportunity to get into a
production aircraft. Neil Perks put together a crew to build the aircraft in
record time. He called around May the fifth and I eagerly agreed to help. I
arrived in Redmond on May the 10th and was given a manila paper plans for
building the construction tables by Pat O'Brien. He then left to go to
Southern California to finish a project to be able to come up to Redmond and
work full-time. And by full-time I mean 16-18 hour days. Jerry Parks was the
lead in the whole project. Uncle Jerry worked as he could and Carson was there
on a college apprenticeship program. I was there as a new builder working on
my IV tail feathers as my total experience. Joe from New York State had built
a two place. And they do not recall the other fellow's names. Bill George
 took the picture. We were assisted by as many as 50 volunteers who were
stumbling all over each other. I was amazed how the day crew could go home at
10 o'clock at night with a severe fuel leak and then come back the next
morning and it would be all fixed-- and back together with the wing on it.
 Dave Morss to the airplane on July 22. 73 days And later flew to Oshkosh. I
helped push it down to the FAA Square where the airplane was ceremoniously
turned over to the FAA for certification.
 Little did Lance know what the time what a rough road that would be poor
certification even with the new "laxed regulations".

 I asked Bill George at  Oshkosh if he had any pictures
 and he gave me this.

 Charlie K.