From: Gary Fitzgerald <gbfitz@swbell.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: [LML] Re: Pilot or Poser: One Man's Quest to Build the Ugliest Lancair Ever...
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 01:12:40 -0400
To: <lml>
John,

I'm going with COM1, COM2, NAV/GS, and probably GPS internal, and transponder external, and the MKR wherever I can fit it (hopefully internal).  Hopefully metallic or pearl paints won't kill the VHF performance.  Some places I plan on visiting fairly regularly involve flying into or transitioning an ADIZ, so I'm not taking any chances with masking or interference from pushrods or other metallic components.  Get a small enough transponder antenna, mount it far enough back, the boundary layer is probably thick enough that the disruption to the airflow (and resulting drag) will be minimal.  If I had to do it over again, I'd strongly consider put the transponder ant. in the open wing bay.

Gary Fitzgerald
LNC2 standard build ~67%
Engine: TBD
St. Charles, MO