From: dfs <dfs@gateway.net>
Subject: zigzag tape
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 22:44:41 -0700
To: Lancair List <lancair.list@olsusa.com>
         <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          <<  Lancair Builders' Mail List  >>
          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I installed the subject tape several years ago and here's my experience.
First, I wanted to know if there was really any advantage to be gained from
sticking the stuff on my airplane. At the time, the only person I had heard
of who had installed it was Dave Morse - on the two place Lancair he was
using at that time to fly an aerobatic routine at air shows. (Unfortunately,
I never had the opportunity to see Dave do his thing - but I've been told it
was pretty exciting)! I called Dave to get his input on the tape and the
first thing he mentioned was that as long as I was flying behind a
fixed-pitch prop, I probably wouldn't see a thing different. He was right.
However, he did give me the information about how to stick it on since I was
determined (plus the fact that I had already bought the package) to use it.
When I finally got around to installing a constant speed prop, the tape was
already on so I have no basis for comparison, e.g., before and after - and
there was no way to differentiate between the new prop and the influence of
the tape.
I hesitate to relate the installation parameters I used as it may be
positioned incorrectly, resulting in the lack of cruise improvement noted.
One thing I will say is that it sure is hard to get the wing cleaned nicely
around the sharp edges of the zig-zag - particularly on the bottom of the
fuselage where the oil, dirt and exhaust are so hard to get off anyway.
All I can say for sure is the stuff doesn't seem to have caused me any
material problems but I can't vouch for any gains.
Dan Schaefer

LML website:   http://www.olsusa.com/Users/Mkaye/maillist.html