From: Paul Lipps <elippse@sbcglobal.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Cooling ducts
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 12:11:10 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
I was asked to show some pix of my cooling ducts by some LML people, one of whom is a Glasair snoop in Florida spying on our Lancair secrets. Where is our Lancair security when you need them? 101-0181 shows my exhaust/cooling ducts. The exhaust is the little curved duct on the right feeding the cylinder's cooling air outlet, the combined flow going out in the long ducts. 0005 & 0008 show the carbon fiber wrapped cylinders. 0013 is one of my dual inlet ducts, which feeds the cylinders as shown in 0009. 0011 shows the divergent duct feeding the oil cooler, with a converging duct on the outlet. This duct also feeds my cabin heat. That's the lever that controls the valve on the side of the outlet duct below the motor mount. There's a 2" duct from the back of it that goes through the firewall and exhausts between the passenger's feet, and from it also a duct that goes over the nose-gear tunnel and exhausts between the pilot's feet at the rudder pedals. The two heating outlets were sized to favor more flow for the pilot, naturally! You can also see the operating cable and mechanism for the exhaust/cooling duct varaiable aperture (cowl flap). That's the little triangular piece on the rod. The oil cooler is fed by the external duct on the top rear of the cowling as shown in the overall pic.