From: richard titsworth <rtitsworth@mindspring.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: RE: [LML] Re: TSIO-550 Turbo setup for non-pressurizedLlancairs
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 00:28:44 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>

I’m not smart enough to be an expert here (not even close), and I’m an auto guy (read dangerous when it comes to re-applying knowledge to airplanes).  But, here’s what I know/believe…

The A/R ratio is typically cast into the housing (visually obvious on the exterior/face if you look closely).

The A/R describes the compressor and turbine housing geometry. It is defined as the turbine inlet cross-sectional area divided by the radius from the turbo centerline to the centroid of that area.  (see diagram below)

compressor housing showing A/R characteristic

• Compressor A/R - Compressor performance is largely insensitive to changes in A/R, but generally larger A/R housings are used to optimize the performance for low boost applications, and smaller housings are used for high boost applications.

• Turbine A/R - Turbine performance is greatly affected by changing the A/R of the housing. Turbine A/R is used to adjust the flow capacity of the turbine. Using a smaller A/R will increase the exhaust gas velocity into the turbine wheel, causing the wheel to spin faster at lower engine RPMs.  This gives quicker turbo response in autos (less important in planes) and will sustain boost pressure for cabin bleed air during low throttle descents from altitudes (important in pressurized aircraft).  This will also tend to increase exhaust backpressure, reduce economy, and reduce the max power at high RPM.  Conversely, using a larger A/R will lower exhaust gas velocity, create less back pressure, better efficiency, but will delay boost response/rise, and create lower boost at low RPM’s.

There is much more to sizing a tubro to a given application that just the turbine A/R ratio.  For example, the “compressor map” defines the applicable operating range for a compressor.

The Garrett web-site has some good “basics” reading if you’re interested.  However, it is mostly oriented to auto’s, and hence must be read with a critical mind when it comes to aircraft applications (http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/tech_center/tech_center.html)

I don’t have any personally experience on available heat with low power settings (descents) – never owned a turbo aircraft before.  I would imagine if you are high enough, 29” MP is still quite a bit of boost (air compression heat generated) relative to the ambient pressure at that altitude (say 18,000+).  If you are lower, i.e. below 10,000, then I might guess that the available heat from compression is reduced when MP (power) is low due to the fact that little compression is being performed by the tubros (hence little heat generated).  I would be interested in other’s real facts/experiences as well.

Rick

Sent: Saturday, April 15, 2006 12:23 AM

Richard can you further explain the A/R issue?  Are you talking about the turbine or the compressor?

And can you say a little more about how these different ratios are implemented?

I have "larger" compressors with the same turbines on my IVP but I don't know anything about this ratio.

Also I wonder if IVP drivers all have a lack of heat on descent.    This is the first I've heard of that problem.

Colyn

This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.