From: <5zq@cox.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Re: Lancair Legacy Roll Out 900'?
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 12:51:04 -0500
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Hi Greg,

Yes, I agree. I've seen Lorn's landings in person and he does a nice job. My "ain't never seen" comment wasn't meant to denigrate anyones particular technique, but rather just a bad attempt at a little humor. (Sorry Greyhawk, I just can't live up to your standards).

As far as the CG, I fly at all different weights and CG's. When I know that I'm landing or taking off on grass I will allow the header to burn down to around 5 gallons though, seems to help. Here's my configuration:
* O-320 (about 12 lbs lighter than a 360)
* MT 2 blade prop (very light)
* Standard header tank, 10 gallons.
* Hydraulic pump behind the baggage bulkhead.
* Long engine mount
* 2 batteries mounted on the firewall.

I too have flown several 2 and 300 series Lancairs and haven't noticed a huge difference in landing. Maybe our real question is in the definition of "flare". Slowing and stopping the descent upon reaching the runway does require additional lift. Normally, this additional lift is produced by increasing the angle of attack, flaring. Since our airplanes are so much more efficient, it doesn't require as much body angle change to produce the required additional lift as a 172, hence the "no flare" notion. Maybe it's just semantics.

Where are you based? I'm in Fredericksburg, Virginia. Maybe we could trade rides and study each others technique?

Bill Harrelson
5zq@cox.net
N5ZQ 320 1,150 hrs
N6ZQ  IV 5%