From: Mark & Lisa <marknlisa@hometel.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: RE: Runway checks, passes, flybys
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 22:39:13 -0500
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Listers,

The overhead approach isn't inherently unsafe.  It's a tool; like all tools, it's only unsafe when improperly used, or without taking proper precautions.  In my mind, the major concern when considering the use of an overhead is this: MOST "non-military" pilots (not controllers) have no idea what it is.

To me, the unexpected is dangerous in many situations--around other people, other cars on the highway and most certainly around other aircraft.  If an individual (non-military type) approaching a non-towered airport is flying an aircraft not equipped with a radio he/she will "know" just where to look for other traffic so they can fit in--unless the other traffic is doing something unexpected.  Pilots in other radio-equipped aircraft (that aren't equipped with an ex-military pilot) will be very confused by the terminology and procedures of the overhead; consider the recent story posted here about the CFI that chastised one Lister for executing an overhead.

I've long since given up on my 20-15 vision as my only savior in the pattern.  Too many times have I completely missed seeing other aircraft--even aircraft reporting their position on the radio.  Instead, in addition to my eyes, I rely on other pilots utilizing a good traffic scan, the radio to advise similarly-equipped aircraft and following a known and accepted procedure designed to help me fit in to the expected traffic flow as much as possible.  Eliminating any of these elements increases the likelihood of an uplanned encounter of the worst kind.

I've done overhead approaches at my own (3K6) airport and I can tell you they are FUN!  It IS a great way to get the aircraft slowed and on the ground as quickly as possible (and as a bonus you can avoid any manpad-equipped enemy in the area, wink-wink, nudge-nudge). On the other hand, I live at this particular airport and I'm intimately familiar with traffic flows in the area.  Even still, I've never attempted an overhead without an advisory from Unicom and a circuit around the pattern to look for other traffic.  The chance of descending into another aircraft is very real with a low-wing aircraft -- especially when you're overtaking.

Perhaps those who wish to regularly fly overhead approaches should contact AOPA and see if they are willing to develop an on-line training program to educate pilots about overhead approaches (maybe as part of a larger refresher lesson on non-towered airport operations).  You might attend your local airport safety meeting and brief pilots on overhead pattern operations--be sure to discuss advantages and disadvantages.  Talk about overheads with others when you're hanging around the FBO.  AOPA's Air Safety Foundation offers kits for anyone wishing to conduct a safety seminar.  Schedule a seminar in your area and be sure to discuss overheads.

Incidently, my Legacy FG isn't airborne yet, I'm still using my Grumman Traveler to terrorize the skies.  I'm sure it's much easier to "fit in" to the pattern with the Traveler that it will be with the Legacy.  But when the time comes, I'll accept that my aircraft has very different operating parameters from most others in the pattern, and take responsibility to avoid interfering with the "normal" flow.

I don't think the overhead approach is inherently unsafe, but like everything else, there are tradeoffs.  Conduct your operations with a risk vs reward attitude, and always know "why" you're doing what you're doing.

Fly safely,

Mark & Lisa Sletten
Legacy FG N828LM
http://www.legacyfgbuilder.com