From: Paul Lipps <elippse@sbcglobal.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: "Ram" air
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 01:50:41 -0500
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Here's the formula I use to determine induction aperture area, sq. in.:  RPM/60 x CD!/2 x 1.25 / (TAS, mph, x 22/15 x 12) The 1.25 gives a 25% increase to take care of inlet losses and the need for increased area at low speed. My MAP always calculates out to PSTATIC + PDYNAMIC - PCARB DROP. For the O-235, the carb drop ranges from 1.5" at sea-level to about 1.2" at 12,500'. At 8000' dalt, 250mphTAS, dynamic pressure should be 1.68". If you see more MAP rise than this, you might have a source of pixie dust handy! My induction air inlet is the "chin" style to take advantage of the slight velocity increase from the air displaced by the spinner; my cooling air inlets also try to take advantage of this by having the inside edge in-line with the edge of the spinner. I expand the air into a 10" x 4" K&N filter, with a nose-gear operated bypass around the filter. This doesn't seem to be necessary, as I see no MAP change when the bypass opens. That's probably due to the air being slowed down so much through the filter, so there is minimal pressure drop. One thing to mention, however. Jeff's/Chris' "Miss Gianna" is using the ELIPPSE prop I designed for them and for the Tom Aberle/Andrew Buehler "Phantom", the 2004 and 2005 Gold Championship winner, which is somewhat similar in planform to the three-blade I designed for my Lancair. This design has true airfoil and helix angle all the way into the spinner, and promotes, rather than blocks the airflow in the hub region, as opposed to almost all fixed-pitch and the majority of CS props with their god-awful hub shapes! This prop-induced blocking of airflow is the reason for mounting cooling inlets farther out from center where the prop is actually inducing airflow. At least, so said John Roncz!