From: Gary Edwards <gary21sn@hotmail.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: IO-360-B1F Mounting Tips]
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2005 22:31:55 -0500
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>

A)  The crankcase breather fitting points directly at the engine mount.
It was difficult to route the hose to the desired location of my oil-air
separator without interfering with the engine mount.  I purchased an
industrial brass fitting from Parker (makers of Aeroquip hoses -- or is
it Stratoflex?).  This fitting is a 45 degree hose barb with the
appropriate sized NPT thread.  We "simply" screwed out the old fitting
and replaced it with the 45 degree fitting.  "Simple" is in quotes
because the angled fitting could not be installed without undoing the
top engine mount bolts and allowing the engine to sag just enough to
provide clearance to spin the fitting in.  Of course, we supported the
engine with an engine hoist during this operation.  If anyone is
interested, I will be dropping by the local Parker Store on Monday and
will find out the part number.

While building my plane I was instructed by an A&P to never use brass fittings on the engine, as they will crystallize over time and could eventually break.  Can anyone verify this information?

B)  I need help here -- I am not using the mechanical tach drive.  I
need to cap it off somehow.  The vacuum pump (Tempest) is ridiculously
close.  I have measurements for machining a special cap but clearly
everyone with an electronic tach (i.e. almost all of us) have capped
this off.  How did you do it?

I scrounged the "cap" from a discarded tach cable - of course, it had the hole for the cable in it for which I fashioned an aluminum disk.

I first utilized a tach cable cap and aluminum disk and it wouldn't stop leaking oil, so I switched to a one piece cap from Chief Aircraft.

Gary Edwards
LNC2 N21SN
Medford, Oregon