From: Carl Cadwell <CarlC@Cadwell.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: FAA trying to stop us? Complete memorandum
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 12:07:05 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
FAA trying to stop us? Complete memorandum

Fellow Lancair listers:

My apology for not having the complete FAA memorandum on the previous post.  Here is the complete one.

<<FAA memorandum complete.pdf>> <<EAA p10 Sep 05.pdf>>

I was handed the attached memorandum by the Seattle MIDO last week.

Also is page 10 from Sept 2005 Sport Aviation.

My reading of this is that Lancair Kit company, RV and probably all the current fast build kit companies will not be in compliance.  (Maybe this has already gone into effect—man I hope not!!)

Further, the builder assist centers, whether factory or not, will not be in compliance with the 51% rule.

The FAA is trying to stop us all from building our planes.  No factory/commercial assistance at all on eligible kits.  No prefinished parts from the kit manufacturer.  No predrilled/precut materials. No factory one week wing close-outs to learn how to work with the materials.

The FAA is not changing the regulations, only how they interpret the regulations.

The EAA is making a little deal of what is a really big deal.

We need to tell the government what we want and not let the government tell us.

All the major kit manufacturer’s need to be in on the process before this is adopted.  Better yet, they should be involved in the decision process.

This is not making the experimental’s safer.  In fact, I believe that just the opposite will occur.

Perhaps even better would be to follow what Canada has done:  they allow commercial assistance and have mandatory inspections at various stages.  Would this be safer than taking a kit home and building it in your garage?  I would think so.

Frank Paskiewiecz’s address is:

Frank Paskiewicz, Manager

Federal Aviation Administration

Aircraft Certification Service

Production and Airworthiness Division (AIR-200)

800 Independence Avenue SW, Room 815

Washington, DC 20591

202 267 8361

Fax:  202 267 5580

Email:  frank.paskiewiecz@faa.gov

I suspect that Marion Blakeys, FAA Administrator, email address is:

Marion.blakey@faa.gov

All you lurkers out there, pass this to the companies that can/will be affected by this.

Carl Cadwell

909 North Kellogg Street

Kennewick, Washington 99336

(509) 735-6481