From: <MikeEasley@aol.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Stall Characteristics
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 09:05:03 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
I doubt there's any correlation between "less than ideal" stall characteristics and the factory jigs.  I would bet that we all agree that no two planes are identical.  The differences can be introduced at any stage of building.

That said, all the certified aircraft have variances from perfectly straight.  They are handled with stall strips, tabs, and eccentrics to bring the plane into conformity with the type certificate.

The design of Lancairs is leaning more towards performance, which makes our planes more likely to show "less than ideal" characteristics if we have anything less than perfect.

I had a long discussion with someone from Beechcraft about this subject.  They build their planes to very tight tolerances.  However, every plane behaves a little differently in flight test.  They adjust the wings to get rid of a heavy wing.  Then they tape the stall strips to the wings and do stall tests, adjusting the stall strips until they get a straight forward break.  Then the strips are bonded permanently to the leading edges. It's my understanding that every aircraft from 172s to Lears go through similar flight test adjustments.

I know that Tim has been working on a similar method to "tweak" our planes to get the stall to be straight ahead and give us a little more buffet, a little more warning.

Mike Easley