From: Barry Hancock <sportform@cox.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Why I fly a Legacy!
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 08:25:42 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Well, I have not had much chance to write of all my flying exploits as of late. Starting 3 businesses at once and raising my 2 year old boy doesn't leave a guy a lot of time for leisure writing. This post will not be as detailed or "flowery" as I'd like, but I just had to share my incredible weekend.

To put things in perspective, I have not had a real vacation in over 2 years (sorry gang, running a formation clinic - or 5- is great fun, but it is NOT vacation!). In that time I've been through the ringer. A far from amicable divorce, closing the doors on the family business, the death of 3 friends (separately), and an ailing mother have at times tested my sanity. Through it all, there have been times when I have been able to find peace and serenity only through escaping to the air to float on wings and feel the freedom that only comes through tracing arcs in the sky. Most here know of the therapy about which I speak...

Though the first 10 months of owning my Lancair could be added to the other calamities above, the last 6 have more than made up for it. I'm now pushing 90 hours on the airplane and the last 10+ are definitely on the top of the list.

Day 1

Blasted off from CNO hoping to make it to Half Moon Bay for one of their great burgers, but 30 min. into the fight I realize we're not gonna make it before they close for the day, so I punched Salinas (SNS) into the Chelton and 25 minutes later the friendly controller was clearing us for the overhead "altitude at your discretion, just don't hit us." Over the numbers at 200 feet and 2-- knots, 122LL was howling for joy as we pointed the nose upward and then rolled -- degrees to the downwind, briefly touching pattern altitude to throw out the gear and full flaps before turing back in to put her down on 31.

Burgers were great, and Laura and I hoped back into the plane to head up the coast. The marine layer was still on the Monterey Bay so we indulged in a few dozen miles of cloud surfing up the coast. Just outside of the class Bravo surface area along the San Francisco coast at 800' AGL we got a windscreen full of a KLM 777 departing SFO - what a beautiful picture of the huge lumbering jet climbing out over the puffy clouds pushed up against the pine tree lined coastline. Had planed to low level up the coast to Crecent City, but it looked like the marine layer was there to stay, so we diverted to Redding to check in on a Canberra bomber I knew of and add a splash of fuel.

From Redding we headed direct to Boeing field, which took us right by Mt. Shasta in the later-afternoon sun, and a comfortable 2 hour flight into BFI. Upon arriving into "the Valley" we were greeted with the spectacular Seattle skyline and cleared into the Bravo airspace for our decent. No issues getting into Boeing and the prop came to a stop at Galvin Flight Center with 4.4 hours of flying logged - just in time to get to the hotel, take in a gorgeous sunset, and enjoy a great Salmon dinner at Ivarr's.

Day 2

We had a busy day planned from the get go, but the marine layer came into the Sound early and it looked like we might be stuck at BFI (Boeing Field) through the TFR for the "SeaFair". Lucky for us the layer raised up just in time and we were literally the last one's off the tarmac before it was closed for our Navy's finest (Blue Angels) for the next two hours. The marine layer extended out a bit into the sound and it was fun zipping past a number of Beavers and other "slow movers" at 200 KIAS, even though I had it pulled back to 18/2400.

This was the first time over the sound for both Laura and I and we were simply taken aback by the incredible beauty given to us in this part of the country. As we approached our first stop, Diamond Point, I tuned the radio in to hear "Blackjack flight of 9 RV's is setting up for the overhead on 29". This was going to be fun! A friend of mine lives on this private community strip and they were having their annual airport day.

As the pattern cleared I called in for a low pass to check the runway environment and make sure I felt comfortable getting the Legacy down on this short and narrow strip (2000'x20'). Getting her slowed early, I was glad I had time in an S-3 simulator at North Island NAS....kept waiting to hear "call the ball" as I flew the AOA on the Chelton right down to the numbers at 90 knots. ;) On short final (about 20' AGL) I chopped the power and had just enough elevator to round out before she quit flying...we were easily stopped in 1700' at nearly max gross.

I'll just say that it doesn't suck to pull up to a small town fly-in in a Legacy. We got treated like rock stars! I think we sometimes forget we are flying the envy of most of the aviating public and it sure is fun to have all those folks admire these wonderful airplanes. To top it off I now have a $25 check and a certificate for being the migratory bird of the fly-in!

Me and my squeeze in front of 122LL at Diamond Point...
Image
8-6-05 Barry & Laura IMG_1029.jpg

I just love small town fly-ins. The people are great, the food is great, and the laid-back yet enthusiastic atmosphere always hearkens me back to what it must have been like in the Golden Age of aviation. After hot dogs, corn on the cob, and a few (too many?) cookies it was time to head out. My buddy and his fellow Swift drivers put on a nice formation routine for the crowd....
Image
Seattle 1st getaway 004.jpg

And then it was showtime! Little did I know we were being captured on film, but it was fun to get these in my inbox a few days later....

It's not a radial or a Merlin, but this is a pretty sweet sound!

We were then off to Friday Harbor. Even at Legacy speeds we got there just after our whale watching boat left, so we ended up renting Mopeds and seeing about half the island. Amazing place....if you ever have time to visit the San Juans, it's a definite don't miss in the summer time! Cruising around low level in this part of the world is spectacular!

We capped off the evening at a great Italian place with the best chocolate profiteroles I've ever had!

Day 3

Sunday was a wondeful day. We began by visiting a local ward of our church and enjoyed a wonderful sacrament meeting. We were trying to get back up to the San Juans to make up our whale watching trip, but I somehow made a mis-a-calcalation by a full hour on getting from church to the airport...but that turned into a pretty neat treat. As we arrived at Galvin Flying Center, the Blue Angles were just getting ready to head out of BFI for their show over the water at SeaFair. We were only several hundred feet from both their 4+2 departure, and their 6 ship recovery. This video isn't great, it's from my Treo...

We then had time to kill due to the TFR so we headed over to the amazing Museum of Flight where we spent several hours, including hearing a great talk from SR-71 pilot Brian Shul. The Blackbird was an amazing political weapon and some of the stories he told made me even more proud of being an American. I bought a limited edition copy of his book, which I had signed for my 2 1/2 year old son and intend to give it to him when he's ready. Talk about serendipity!

After the TFR lifted we blasted out to Friday Harbor again...this time just to try a restaurant we'd heard about. Food was great, so was the flying, even if we didn't spot any whales. By the time we got back to the airport after dinner it was nearing sunset. The northern sky in the summertime during twilight is indescribable. It was very cool to come back in over downtown Seattle to the night skyline....though that fairly dark ridge that sits under the downwind to 31R isn't the most comfortable thing to fly over at night as you are only a few hundred feet above it.

Day 4

Alas, it was time to head home. We stopped by Mike Custard's place in Bend, OR to say hi, and hit Red Bluff in Northern California for lunch. The flight was beautiful going by all the big mountains along the route...

More of my ugly mug than you need to see...but the view out the window is pretty cool!
Image
Seattle 1st getaway 027.jpg

All in all, it was 12.4 hours of flying over the 4 days and we landed back in Chino no worse for wear. We saw some of the most spectacular scenery in the world up close and personal, in complete comfort and all for less than it would have cost for 2 round trip tickets from LA to Seattle, not bad...not bad at all.

Barry
122LL