From: Robert J. Stiaby way of Marvin Kaye <marvkaye@olsusa.com> <rnr@atlantic.net>
Subject: Y2K Fix
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 00:24:43 -0400
To: <lancair.list@olsusa.com>
         <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          <<  Lancair Builders' Mail List  >>
          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hello everybody,

Bob Stia was kind enough to include me on his private mailing of this
little tidbit, and while it hasn't got anything to do with our Lancair
projects directly, it does have much to do with how many of us stay in
touch via the LML.  That being said, please pardon my use of the LML to
send along a message which strays from the strictly straight and narrow
that you've all come to enjoy and perform the test below if you have a
Windows-based system.  I was quite surprised to find that my settings were
still on the mm/yy/dd default... I thought I'd tweaked everything there was
to tweak.

No responses, please... just do yourselves the favor and thank Bob directly
if you feel so inclined.

Here is a Y2K thing that nobody has thought about. Take a look and make
a simple change to avoid problems.

You may think your PC is "Y2K" compliant, and some little tests
may have actually affirmed that your hardware is compliant, and you may
even have a little company sticker affixed to your system saying "Y2K
Compliant"...
but you'll be surprised that Windows may still crash unless you do
this simple exercise below. I know that I had not thought of this and my
home computer and work computer would have failed Jan1, 2000. Easy fix
but
something Microsoft seems to have missed in certifying their software as
Y2K compliant.

 Click on "START".
 Click on "SETTINGS".
 Double click on "Control Panel".
 Double click on "Regional settings" icon (look for the little
 world globe), not the date and time icon. "Regional Settings"
 Click on the "Date" tab at the top of the page. (last tab on the
 top right)
 Where it says, "Short Date Sample", look and see if it shows a
 "two digit"  year format ("YY"). Unless you've previously changed it
 (and you probably haven't) -- it will be set incorrectly with just the
 two Y's...... it needs to be four!
 That's because Microsoft made the 2 digits setting the default
 setting for Windows 95, Windows 98 and NT.
 This date format selected is the date that Windows feeds *ALL*
 application software and will not rollover into the year 2000. It
 will roll over to the year 00.
 Click on the button across from "Short Date Style" and select the
 option that shows, "mm/dd/yyyy" or "m/d/yyyy". (Be sure your
 selection has four y's showing, not just "mm/dd/yy).
 Then click on "Apply".
 Then click on "OK" at the botton.

 Easy enough to fix. However, every "as distributed" installation
 of Windows worldwide is defaulted to fail Y2K rollover... Pass this
 along to your PC buddies... no matter how much of a guru they
 think they are... this might be a welcome bit of information!

LML homepage:   http://www.olsusa.com/Users/Mkaye/maillist.html