From: Tom Thibault <tthibaultsprint@earthlink.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: RFI using WX WORX
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 22:43:07 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Since starting to use WX WORX in my LNC2, I have slowly started having a problem where both the Garmin 430 and the KX-155 break squelch a lot of the time, but not always, on many frequencies up and down the comm band.

The equipment is a Fujitsu Stylistic 4121 Tablet PC, a Zoom Bluetooth PC card, the WX WORX Bluetooth receiver, and the Holux Bluetooth GPS.

When I first brought all this equipment into the A/C, there was no problem.  Many weeks later it started, so I thought it  was something else at first.  Finally, it started happening pretty often so I tried without the computer equipment and did not have a problem.

On the 430, there is a front panel adj of squelch, while on the 155 it is a pot inside the top cover.  I adjusted the 430 and flew with no squelch issue and seemingly good reception.  I will reset the 155 next.

Does anyone have similar results or know of other ill effects from having Bluetooth in the cockpit.  BTW, before WX WORX, I did not have any Bluetooth or any other RF transmitting from the Tablet PC.  During this time (about 1 year), I had no squelch problems at all.

Thanks,

Tom