From: Barry Hancock <sportform@cox.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: 66 hours...and few questions
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 00:37:18 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Well,

Just back from the Rocky Mountain Fly-In in Denver.  I flew the Legacy out there (3.4 out, 4.4 back...bouncing all the way) and flew a friends CJ-6 in the airshow (12 plane mass formations).  Unfortunately as I was hunkered down with practice, briefings, etc., and only met one Legacy driver (and his wife)...how embarrassing it is to be bad with names....please forgive me!

I have a few operational questions after my 66 hours of flying in the Legacy in the last 4+ months.   Fortunately, they're all avionics related.

1)  I have the Tru Trak A/P.  This is perhaps the biggest love/hate relationship I have.  In smooth air, it is a dream.  In turbulence, even light chop, it is a nightmare as it correct for every minor deviation and does it's best to make me sea sick...what's worse it won't hold altitude.  Does the AP possibly have an internal leak of some sort?  The altitude needs constant resetting, as well....

2)  Hot starts (IO-550).  I really haven't had any major problems, yet.  Today I stopped in Page, AZ on the way home.  It must have been 92 degrees and I had about 40 minutes between shut down and start up.  My cold start procedure gets me started within about 3 blades every time.  When starting at Page today, I hit the primer for 5 seconds with the throttle cracked about 1/2".  Because of the high DA, I had the mixture leaned about 3/4", as well.  The engine fired after about 6-8 blades, but as soon as I let off the starter, it would die.  This happened about 4 times until I finally kept the primer in and the throttle in another 1/4" (this produced about 1500 RPM on start).

Any thoughts or suggestions on these things?

Thanks in advance!

Barry
122LL

PS  The RV's had a 9 ship formation, the Red Star Pilots put up 12....the absence of Lancair formations is a bummer...but I'm out to fix that!  ;)  Even 4 Legacies smokin' along at 180 kts. would be a lot of fun to watch....