From: Lorn H. Olsen <lorn@dynacomm.ws>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: B&C BC-100 Battery
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 13:50:01 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
From: "Hamid A. Wasti" <hwasti@starband.net>
Date: May 26, 2005 4:11:38 PM GMT-04:00

Lorn H. Olsen wrote:

First came the hand prop, the engine started but the battery was so dead that it couldn't put out enough current to start the alternator.

That should tell you a lot right there.

Are you aware that a piston airplane (with magnetos) will fly just fine without an electrical system? As a matter of face, some are even made that way.

Why would I do an instrument approach without any electrics when I could fly to VFR weather? You have a lot of opinions for someone who was not there.

What a dead battery -- RIP.  Once a battery has been that deeply discharged, it is time to replace it.  All the anomalies that you experienced should have raised some huge red flags.  The fact that it did not raise red flags with you is raising huge red flags with me.

My cowling is in worse shape than my battery but I am not changing it. I change everything on my plane that needs changing. I believe that you should not fix something that is not broken. My BC-100 battery works better than my 1 year old Gills did.

--

Lorn H. 'Feathers' Olsen, MAA, DynaComm, Corp.

248-345-0500, mailto:lorn@dynacomm.ws

LNC2, O-320-D1F, 1,000 hrs, N31161, Y47, SE Michigan