From: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] superchargers
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 14:27:03 -0500
To: <lml>
Posted for "terrence o'neill" <troneill@charter.net>:

 Morss,
    Interesting.
    I think of supercharging as a device to bring or keep engines up to their
max design power.... limited by detonation, ability to dissapate heat, and
mechanical stress.  It can't help a n engine running at sea level already at
it's maximum potential, but will just sap a little HP.
    When that engine is moved to altitude where there isn;t enough manifold
pressure to max the output, a supercharger or turbo can bring it up to max...
as you example shows.
     My belt-driven VS-57 McCulloch (now Paxton) gave me about 8 to 10 HP for
each HP used.  My blow-through supercharged  Ford 351 Windsor with Dart heads
and other mods had a lot of extra potential without overheating or failing.
  I ran it in the Magnum for an hour one day tethered, at 45-in. MP and about
4200 rpm, as I recall, with no overheating or other probems... putting out
about 9 boost HP for each horsepower belted into the blower's drive pulley.
 This was on 93 octane premium Marathon auto gas.  Probably could have run
more manifold pressure on 100LL.
    I think supercharging's a good tradeoff, IF the basic engine can stand
it... an d that's the real question.  I'd like to put a belt-drive
supercharger on our LNC2/IO320, if I can find room somewhere....and if the FAA
ever clears the registration.
 Terrence

"""