From: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Superchargers
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 21:31:32 -0500
To: <lml>
Posted for Skip Slater <skipslater@earthlink.net>:

   Guys,    Anyone who witnessed that race KNOWS how close it was, and it was
nowhere near a 1.99 second interval between first and second.  In  addition to
what I personally saw,  I've seen photos of the finish that completely
validate Rick's claim of 5' between the noses of the first and second place
Legacys at the finish.  Perhaps he still has one he can post to put this dead
horse to rest.    Skip Slater

[Is it not possible for there to be a "photo finish" (like this one) and still have a 2 second spread between the two racers?  While I haven't had the good fortune to attend Reno, I could see this happening quite easily.  Ie, the elapsed time for each aircraft is based on when they pass through both the start and finish gates, correct?  If that is the case, then it is possible that both aircraft passed through the start gate with the 2 second spread at the front of the race, while still allowing them to hit the finish line at nearly the same time.  This would explain the dichotomy we seem to have about this particular result.  At least that's my 2c... just a thought.  If I'm way off base, please set me straight.   <marv>       ]