From: Ron Galbraith <cfi@instructor.net>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Re: VFR for flight testing
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 14:14:16 -0500
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>

The ATC guys don't care that you are an experimental, and they don't care to know the difference between an ES and a Columbia 400, since they are in effect the same airplane as far as they are concerned.   My point was that it's an FAR that you communicate "experimental" to a tower, and putting this in remarks will most likely satisfy that requirement.  This FAR goes way back before there were home built kit airplanes, and someone else on this list explained pretty closely why that was a requirement, since "experimental" used to mean danger, handle with care.   Now with the hombuilts it's not necessary, controllers would rather know what type you are.   If you just say experimental, you could be a 100 knot single, or a twin engine jet these days.   If you insist on saying that you are an experimental, then at least say you are an experimental Lancair.

Ron Galbraith

LNCE-N5ES

> just put experimental in remarks.  That way the information is
> automated to the guys who need that information (the ones at the
tower).

Jim,