From: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: Mid Air Collision with a Goose
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 15:18:13 -0500
To: <LML>
Posted for "Lorn H. Olsen" <lorn@dynacomm.ws>:

 Jack,

 At 10,500 ft, over the Gulf of Mexico, 2 years ago, I hit a goose. I was
flying from Detroit, MI via Atlanta, GA to Venice, FL.

 I saw a black spot in the window and then heard the hit. I tried the power,
that still worked. I then tried the controls, they still worked. I started
looking around and saw goose down on the left wing about 2 feet in back of the
leading edge. Had the duck been 6 inches lower, we might have both bought the
farm. This collision caused no damage at all. I showed my brother the down
smudge in Venice. It was about 6" x 8".

 I was talking to Jacksonville Center at the time. I reported the problem.
They said: "Why are you telling us?". I said: "So that other pilots will know
that there are ducks up here today.".

 Lorn

 On Nov 18, 2004, at 10:27 AM, J H Webb wrote:

Hi

    The FAA needs to require geese install transponders so that they show up on TCAS!!   Jack

Subject: Fw: Mid Air Collision with a Goose
Can you believe the pilot landed safely ?

[ this is alittle off topic, and the photos
are http://rob.com/pix/barron   I doubt a goose
has the mass to do that kinda damage and was
told it was a Mid air with Cessna 180 main gear
and the Cessna did not survive.  -Rob ]