From: <edechazal@comcast.net>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: LNC2 Cooling
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 19:44:47 -0500
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Fred -

I'm sure lot's has been written regarding LNC2 cooling.  My stock IO-360-B1F has no problem with cooling now.  I used the Lancair baffle kit installed as instructed.  I added plenty of baffling and silicon to seal all the nooks and crannies.  My filtered air inlet is in front of Cylinder #1.  I've found that if I take off with filtered air, cylinders 1 and 3 are starved for cooling air.  I generally take off on RAM air now and temps are much lower consequently in climb.  Also, I use the GAMI principle of not leaning to 50 degrees rich of peak (in contrast to what I was taught).  I fly either at peak EGT or 150 degrees rich of peak (my engine is not smooth lean of peak to any degree).  The CHTs will climb quite a bit if you fly between these values.  Additionally, my oil cooler is mounted on the baffle in front of cyl. #2.  This way the oil cooler gets plenty of air (oil temps a non-issue) but cyl. 2 and 4 temps have never been a problem.  With all this, my CHTs are routinely at 360 F or lower, and all this is stock (except the oil cooler placement).

I tried a few other things before settling on the setup above.  I enlarged the exit air opening and constructed inlet ramps in the upper cowling.  All had insignificant impact.

I'd say, make sure your baffling is well sealed, then fly it as I describe above (take off using ram air) and see if you really have a problem.

Regards,
Ed de Chazal