From: <Sky2high@aol.com>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Re: AOA
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 13:32:58 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
In a message dated 9/19/2004 8:59:17 AM Central Standard Time, marv@lancaironline.net writes:
You mentioned that you liked the way I fly a "high speed pass".

  This is a very simple maneuver until you reach the point that your nose is
still up at 45 degrees or more and you're running out of airspeed.  Don't be
looking at your AOA for any help.
  And please,  don't even start one of these unless you are comfortable with
stalls, stall avoidance, spin prevention, and unusual attitude recovery in
your airplane.
Mark,

Stalls - I was always uncomfortable.

Stall avoidance - I have devoted much of my learning experiences to this concept. I still need all the help I can get. From time to time I use slow flight (at reasonable altitudes), my butt and the AOA to remind myself of how pre-stall feels, looks and smells (oh, that's me that smells).  During certain high speed maneuvers I am happy to maintain sufficient lift reserve to avoid "surprise!"

Spin prevention - See above -- I don't trust my small-tailed hand-built (maybe the left wing doesn't match the right) lawn dart to recover from some real-flight and weirdly-loaded (load unsecured to boot) condition not simulated in "practice."

Unusual attitude - Yep, I've got one of those.

  If you look at Lee's  statistics again, you won't see where exacting AOA
control was the issue.  You will see where pilots were surprised by sudden
inadvertent conditions.
  The NTSB will never indicate "failure to maintain AOA" as a cause.
Well, the outside observer/witness only observed the symptoms/results, never the AOA or other cockpit contained cause.  I only know this - a stall close to the ground, usually done in a turn, has permanent irreversible consequences and you don't get to try it again. So far I have successfully stayed away from hearing "Angle Angle Push" (except sometimes at touchdown).

<<<<<
  You're invited up to New England anytime.

Thanks, I still would like to learn some stuff closer to the edge of the envelope - stuff I don't care to self-learn. I don't like to hear myself say "Oops!"

Scott

PS:  It seems our opinions differ a bit on the usefulness of AOA.  Of course, unlike the infamous John Lear, I learned to fly (such as it is) later in life, taught by young civilian CFIs making time until they could step into a regional jet.  I read a lot though.