From: <Sky2high@aol.com>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: LNC2 Fan Fans: weird vibrations are gone!
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 20:50:48 -0500
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Some time back I had problems with my Hartzell prop made of actual 84 inch diameter cut down to the 70 inch diameter with no taper to the blade (thick tips).  I had vibration at various rpms.  Well, unfortunately I have changed two things and the odd vibrations are gone.

1.  I found the forward bulkhead for my aluminum spinner was not quite round and "fill" tape had gathered on the slight gap side.  So, after creating a new mounting flange for the lathe and cutting a new bulkhead out of nylon to the exact required roundness, size and taper, this new firmer bulkhead was installed.

2. In the spirit of Appendix D and while the spinner was off, I thought I would lubricate the hub as recommended by the Hartzell prop maintenance manual - especially since I had 150 hours on the prop (probably the longest any hub had not been serviced for blade replacement).  Surprisingly, both hubs took an enormous amount of Aeroshell #6 grease (40 strokes) to finally eject some old grease.  So, I was flying without enough greasy kid stuff.

Anyway, the funny vibrations are gone.

PS: This post was repeated on the Lancair Forum Site:

Go there and sign up.

Scott Krueger AKA Grayhawk
Sky2high@aol.com
II-P N92EX IO320 Aurora, IL (KARR)

"...as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns - the ones we don't know we don't know." D. Rumsfeld