From: 'Scott Richardson' <scott_m_richardson@sbcglobal.net>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: RE: [LML] Re: Strenghtening the longerons?
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 14:52:12 -0500
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Message
Hi all,

First off thanks for the responses from a number of people on my questions about drilling & strengthening the longerons for the tip-up canopy gas strut brackets on my 235.  And thanks in particular to Ray for sending the pages from the 320 FB manual.

I wanted to report back my conversation with Justin at Lancair earlier this week.  Apparently this is a question he's seen a few times before and he had a ready answer.  Simply fill the holes with flox and add 6 BID of carbon on the inside of the longeron, three sets of 2 BID each.  The first would extend 1" forward and 1" rearward of the two holes and around the longeron and 1" onto the fuselage.  Each successive layer would then extend 1" further in all directions from the earlier one.  He mentioned that if I wanted to keep the current setup (holes through the longeron) to make sure it's well reinforced with carbon.  I'll be re-doing it, the change will actually help some of the geometry issues I'd been having with the strut location and interference with the instrument panel.

A bit of work, but certainly better than my wife's suggestions to "just have the factory send you a new one..."

Thanks again for the help.

Scott