From: Gerry Leinweber <gerry@doctorseyecare.ab.ca>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Gross Weight & Balance of IV-P
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 13:41:10 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
When I first researched IV-P, in the early 90's, the gross weight according to the factory was 3000 lb, then a few years later, listed at 3200 lb.  This was the weight we used when we had our plane's final inspection.  I now note on the Lancair Website that the maximum gross for the IV-P is listed as 3550 lb. It is also my understanding in talking to other builders that it is possible for a builder to certify a higher gross simply by flying the plane with greater weights and re-doing stall speeds.  My questions to ask the opinion of the LML group are as follows:

1.  Does the 3550 lb gross weight apply to all IV-P's or just to the turbine IV-P's?
2.  Have any builders already increased the maximum gross of their plane, and if so, what procedures did you follow to make it legal?
3.  I have heard builders express confidence that the IV-PT can handle a max weight of 4000 pounds, has anyone flown their plane with that much weight?

Gerry Leinweber, C-GLFP
150+ hours and climbing