From: <Newlan2dl@aol.com>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Cabosil used for bonding in core
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 09:15:56 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
OK, try this again since my email decided to send the mail out before I was finished.

Anyway, in this instance I was refering to adding cabosil to thicken the mix so that when bonding in the core, you get adequate bond area.  The miniscus of the bond area in honey comb is quite small but very critical.  Ordinarily when using prepregs, you would add a bonding film in to the laminate to add a metered amount of adhesive to bond in place the honeycomb.  Obviously a wet layup precludes that.  So a thickened epoxy will help get the thickness required.  Dampening the edges with epoxy is so that "Wet-out" is enhanced.  This phenomina can be seen when you are preading putty or even paint for instance.  When you trowel putty against a dry surface, it drags and leaves gaps.  Once coated with a wet layer of putty no matter how thin, spreading more on top goes smoothly.  One of the problems with wet layup in epoxy though is that it's hard to realise the weight savings that you would normally et since the resin tends to run into cells adding a lot of weight.  That's also why I sugested doing it in two layers.

Dan (Damn computers!) Newland