From: <RWolf99@aol.com>
Subject: Re: LC20 attaching the stub wing skins
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 11:00:46 EST
To: <lancair.list@olsusa.com>
         <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          <<  Lancair Builders' Mail List  >>
          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Marv -

What you said makes a lot of sense.  I'm not even sure the fuselage needs to
be leveled on a fast-build kit to attach the stub wing skins.  The bolts for
the wings are installed.  It ain't going anywhere it shouldn't.  The BL-50
ribs are closed out.  Seems to me that all you need to do is bolt the wing on
and make the stub wing skin fit to the outer wing, the BL-50 rib, and the
fuselage fillet at the root.  Hopefully the skins will even fit into those
pre-drilled cleco holes the factory put there (part of the reason we bought a
fast-build, no?)  Your clamping idea for the joggle on the bottom side seems
good, too.

PLEASE, If I'm off-base here, correct me before I screw this up!  (Doug W. and
Orin, are you listening?)

I also bring your attention to Service Bulletin SB015-93, "320 Stub Wing
attachment process", which allows the use of 4.5 lb Clark Foam filler covered
by 4 BID to fill the gap between the wing spar and the stub wing skin.

Has anyone else done this?  It seems it would be so much easier (and lighter)
than messing with a kilo of flox.  How well does the foam hold up over time?

- Rob Wolf
rwolf99@aol.com

[Yes, the invention of the Smart Level certainly could eliminate the
need for fuselage leveling, all that would need be done is  to insure
the the level line on BL50 and the one on the tip rib yield the same
reading.  Then you get to match the stub wing skin to the already
installed top skin on the o/b section, then later in the process you
get to match the bottom o/b skin with the existing stub wing skin.  All
makes pretty good sense to me.

I know of at least one builder who has used the Clark foam for filling
the gaps over the spar caps, but thanks for the reminder about the
appropriate SB.  I'll go over it before proceeding.  Anyway, using a
bunch of flox in there and contending with the potential exotherm which
is likely to occur with that much volume is particularly distasteful to
me.

Thanks for your comments.    <Marv> ]