From: Bill Gradwohl <Bill@YCC.COM>
Subject: Skin Sensitivity
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 09:36:53 -0600
To: <lancair.list@olsusa.com>

          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          <<  Lancair Builders' Mail List  >>
          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This is not a forum on dentistry, so I'll leave a dental materials discussion to
the end of this post. Anyone not interested in it can stop reading at the dotted
line

Most people recognize that mercury is highly toxic. Dr. Huggins tried to
identify materials containing mercury that a person might come in contact with.
I believe anyone is qualified to read a product label looking for mercury and
mercuric compounds. I referenced the book and Dr. Huggins purposely since I have
not researched "bag balm" myself. All I wanted to do was warn someone that it
might contain mercury.

Since metals accumulate in the body, repeated exposure to them especially with
ready access to the blood stream might not be a good idea, but I'm no doctor.

I'm well aware of Dr. Huggins status, or should I say lack of status in the
dental community. He lost his license in Colorado. I've communicated with him
and his associate Dr. Levy, a cardiologist, on several occasions.

After reading his book and other scientific references on the metals commonly
found in dental amalgam, I know I'll never allow it to be placed in any family
member. I believe Dr. Huggins is on to something, and as usual his early warning
calls have upset some people. In earlier times he would assuredly have been
burned at the stake.

Several federal agencies regulate the use of copper, mercury, tin, silver, and
zinc as it relates to contact with the human body, labeling some "hazardous" and
"toxic" even in minute trace quantities. These agencies loose interest when
another seemingly scientific authority assumes responsibility in a specific
application by combining them in certain ratios and labeling the result amalgam.

The ADA somehow transforms toxic and hazardous metals into benign filling
material as soon as amalgam passes into the mouth. Simply amazing science! The
fact that any left over amalgam material not placed in the mouth must be treated
as hazardous waste by the dentist apparently does not strike the ADA or most
dentists as an obvious illogical treatement of a single substance. Hazardous
waste outside the mouth, benign inside the mouth. Does that make sense?

Since Canada and most of Europe no longer implant mercury fillings in some or
all patients, I have to ask myself why I should have them. California has now
seen fit to enact legislation to at least allow dentists to discuss filling
materials with their patients in a rational manner without the dentist fearing
loss of license. Other states are sure to follow, and I believe Dr. Huggins will
be vindicated.

Bill Gradwohl
IV-P Builder