From: Gary Casey <glcasey@adelphia.net>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 09:16:26 -0400
To: <lml>
<<Posted for "Cy Galley" <cgalley@qcbc.org>:

First why do you need it conductive? Lightening will jump the small gap
easily
IF you are hit.

2nd, foreign matter reduces the strength of any bond.  Why, would you even
think of adding aluminum powder? Have you done a test sample to check any
strength changes?

Cy Galley
Editor, EAA Safety Programs
cgalley@qcbc.org or experimenter@eaa.org

>   Can anybody knowledgable person think of any good reason to not include
> this silver powder/flake in the hysol?>>

I'll take a guess on this one.  I would think that it would be very
desirable to have both skins electrically connected.  Otherwise a large
static voltage could build between the two skins and then the potential arc
(lightning) between could cause enough heat to essentially blow the two
skins apart.  Not a good thing at the leading edge.  Also, we've worked some
with conductive plastics, most of which contain metallic particles.
Strength isn't usually compromised as all resins, including the Hysol after
we add flox, have fillers that usually increase the strength.  Whether these
silver particles increase or decrease the strength should be verified before
using.  Unfortunately, getting accurate bond strength test data isn't that
easy.  I would not expect a problem.

Gary Casey